Man dead after officer shooting in Murray
MURRAY, Utah – A man is dead after an alleged domestic violence situation led to an officer-involved shooting in Murray.
Police were called to the Villas At Vine apartment complex around 4:30 P.M. on a call of a domestic violence incident. Investigators are giving few details about what led up to the shooting, but Murray Police Spokesperson Kristen Reardon said there was an exchange of gunfire between the suspect and officers.
“A confrontation occurred, shots were fired,” according to Reardon. “One officer was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries and the suspect is deceased.”
Reardon believes the officer was hit in the leg.
Makenzie Starks lives a few units away from the crime scene. She heard between five and seven shots while she was in her kitchen.
Starks said, “I ran outside and I looked around and said, ‘What was that?’ I looked at my friend and she said, ‘I’m pretty sure it was gun shots.’”
Shortly after that, Starks said there was another exchange of gunfire.
“Once we brought our kids inside, we heard bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, again,” she said.
Starks said she has seen police called to the apartment complex several times, but she never knew of any potential domestic violence situation.
Investigators are not releasing the name of the deceased or the condition of any potential domestic violence victim. Salt Lake City Police will be taking the lead in this investigation.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 1,500 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen