Space travel becoming reality, Utahns eager to board flights to space
SALT LAKE CITY — Space travel is becoming a reality and there are Utahns eager to board flights to the moon. Especially after billionaire Jeff Bezos and his crew landed safely following their trip to space on Tuesday.
Bezos’ crew consisted of himself, 82-year-old aviator Wally Funk, 18-year-old student Oliver Daemen and his younger brother Mark Bezos, the co-founder of a private equity firm.
So far, the list of citizen astronauts who have been to space is fairly short, but there are some Utahns who hope that list to board flights to space will get much longer.
Some Utahns eager to board flights to space
“The fact that they’re going to open it up to more people is good. The fact that they’re trying to bring the cost down, that’s definitely good. I hope I live long enough to get on a Blue Origin rocket. I’ve emailed them and I’ve got a savings account.”
Wiggins is 72 years old and said he has contemplated selling his house in order to get on a space flight. “I so badly want to go.”
Wiggins is not the lone Utahn who looks forward to the day space travel will be available to most people not just the wealthy.
The Deseret News also spoke to Clark Planetarium’s associate director of education and exhibits, Duke Johnson who said the thought of a space flight is exciting.
“I think what it does is, it opens up that frontier to a lot of people who could really never have hoped to get into space at all before,” he said
Both Wiggins and Johnson say that day of better access will come, but it’s unclear how soon.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Fourth of July weekend weather conditions ripe for fires
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Salt Lake County says it has decreased water-use on its golf courses
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- UDOT reminds travelers of heavy traffic over the holiday weekend
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake