SALT LAKE CITY — After a year-long absence the Pioneer Day / Days of ’47 Parade is back on. The celebrations on Friday will commemorate the 174th anniversary of Latter-day Saint Pioneers entering the Salt Lake Valley for the first time on July 24, 1847.
With those celebrations, there will be a fair number of road closures in Salt Lake City.
Days of ’47 parade and Deseret News Marathon road closures
Road closures for the Pioneer Day parade and other festivities in Salt Lake City will begin at 5:00 am ahead of the Deseret News Marathon.
The marathon begins at 5:30 am the top of Big Mountain, above Emigration Canyon and will head down Sunnyside Avenue past Utah’s Hogle Zoo before turning right on Foothill Drive.
From there, runners will make a turn north on 1300 East to South Temple where they will then turn west. After that, the runners will meet up and follow the parade route heading south on 200 East for nine blocks to 900 S where they will make a final turn east and run to the finish line at Liberty Park.
All cross streets along the route will be closed to traffic, but there will be a few cars allowed to cross the route when possible. However, no traffic may cross any of the parade route.
Days of ’47 Pioneer Day start time and how to watch
The Days of ’47 Pioneer Day Parade will start on Friday, July 23 at 9:00 am.
Parade-goers can expect the route to start at South Temple and State Street before making a turn to the south on 200 East. The parade will follow 200 East all the way until 900 South where it will make its final turn to the east on 900 South. Then it will wrap up, ending at Liberty Park.
The entirety of the Days of 47 parade will be televised live on KSL 5 TV immediately after the opening ceremonies of the Tokyo Olympics.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Police look for Laundrie in reserve; Petito still not found
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Moab homicide victims told friends if something happened to them, they were murdered
- Part of Lindon goes on lockdown as police look for suspect
- The latest in the case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Attorney: Person of interest in Gabby Petito case is now missing
- Breaking: Paraglider crash in Draper claims one life
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend
- Destructive TikTok licks trend hits Utah schools
- Gabby Petito’s family and police urge her fiancé to come forward with any information…