St. George police officer dead after a two-week battle with COVID-19
ST. GEORGE, Utah — A St. George police officer has passed away following a two-week battle with COVID-19. Officer Adam Ashworth was a 39-year-old father of three and had served on the St. George police force for 11 years.
Officer Ashworth was admitted to St. George Regional Hospital earlier this month having contracted COVID-19. He had been in the ICU in a medically-induced coma, according to the St. George News.
Officer Ashworth is the 286th person to have died as a result of COVID-19 in Southern Utah since last March. He is also the first to have succumbed to the disease in the last week.
On Thursday, police officers and other personnel took Ashworth from St. George Regional to the Serenity Funeral Home.
Ashworth’s sister, Angela Furin, released a statement prior to his death on the struggles her brother had with the coronavirus.
“The virus has run a devastating course in his body, and the doctors have said most people in his condition don’t survive this long and that he has an incredibly strong heart,” Furin said.
She says her brother Adam had served his community with kindness and integrity, doing the job he was born to do.
- Southern Utah health officials say more vaccine doses are on the way
- Utah’s governor says mistakes were made during the COVID-19 pandemic
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim of fatal accident identified, SR 190 reopens in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- UPDATE: Family of missing Stanton Porter releases statement regarding his death
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- Parents, need a side hustle? The Murray School District is hiring
- Utah middle school bans phones from entire school day
- Investigation continues after plane plunges into Lake Powell, killing 2
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- 4moms infant swings and rockers recalled over strangulation danger
- Three people charged after staged kidnapping for YouTube video, police say
- Some Capri Sun products being recalled by Kraft Heinz