Cedar City, Southern Utah counties struggle under flood waters
CEDAR CITY, Utah — Flash flood warnings were issued for Cedar City as the city struggled to stay ahead of rapidly rising flood waters on Monday. The city reported it is out of sandbags.
A flash flood warning was in effect for Iron County, including Cedar City, until 6 p.m. Monday evening. Cars were seen in the parking lot of a Cedar Wal-Mart were half-submerged as water raced over roads and heavy rain fell in the area, triggering the flash flooding.
Cedar City Mayor Maile Wilson-Edwards declared a state of emergency based on Monday’s flooding in a statement posted on Twitter.
I am declaring a State of Emergency here in Cedar City based on the flooding today. We have been out assessing the damage throughout the City & it’s extensive to private & public property. City crews will continue through the night assessing damage and assisting our residents.
— Mayor Maile Wilson-Edwards (@WilsonMaile) July 26, 2021
“We are working with numerous different jurisdictions to get more sandbags. Right now, there are sandbags at the County Road Department at 1105 North Bulldog Road.
We have been out assessing the damage throughout the City and it is extensive both to private and public property. City crews will continue through the night assessing damage and assisting our residents. Please be safe,” the mayor wrote on Facebook Monday afternoon,” stated Wilson-Edwards.
The Red Cross set up a shelter Monday night for those that have been flooded.
An urban and small stream flood advisory was issued for South Central Washington County and expired early Monday evening. Washington County saw wind gusts of up to 60 mph along with and half-dollar-sized hail.
Flash flood warnings were issued for Escalante, Utah. The Narrows and all slot canyons are closed until further notice.
The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood warning for Kane County, UT until 9:45 p.m. Monday.
— Heather Kelly (@KSLHeatherKelly) July 27, 2021
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement
- Suspect in I-15 shooting named, booked into jail
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral