SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz selected Jared Butler with the 40th pick Thursday night in the 2021 NBA Draft, and announced plans to trade Derrick Favors in another move.
Butler is a 6-foot-3, 195 pound guard from Baylor University. He averaged 16.7 points a game this past season en route to leading the Bears to the NCAA national championship. Butler was also a first team All-American selection in his final season at Baylor.
“He’s got a varied skill set that he’s displayed at the highest levels of college basketball with a lot of experience,” Jazz general manager Justin Zanik said. “(He) played in really big games, and has produced in big games. A great leader, a great teammate, and the multi-skilled aspect of his game, I think will fit well in what we ask our players to do here.”
Read more from KSL Sports: Jazz trade Derrick Favors to OKC for future second round pick
The Jazz entered the draft with the 30th pick, the last selection in the first round. However, moments before their selection, Utah traded the pick to Memphis for the 40th pick in Thursday’s draft and two future picks.
In June, Butler was referred to a fitness-to-play panel by the NBA. Due to an undisclosed health issue, he was not permitted to play or practice in the league. However, last week, NBA officials cleared Butler to play.
Zanik down played any issues regarding Butler’s health.
“We’re comfortable with Jared as a player, as a person,” he said. “We’re excited to add him. I don’t want to get into any of those details. We feel really good about him. We’re excited to have him.”
Jazz trade Favors to Oklahoma City
The Jazz also pulled off a trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder Friday morning. In a move to avoid the luxury tax, the Jazz sent Derrick Favors, along with a future first-round draft pick to the Thunder for a future second-round selection.
The move should help the Jazz in their efforts to resign free agent point guard Mike Conley.
Favors averaged 5.4 points and 5.5 rebounds this past season for the Jazz.
Utah State’s Queta selected by Sacramento
Utah State’s Neemias Queta was selected with the 39th pick by Sacramento Thursday night.
The 7-foot center averaged 14.9 points and 10.1 rebounds this past season for the Aggies.
The Aggies have had players selected in the last two NBA drafts. Sam Merrill was the 60th selection by the Bucks in the 2020 draft.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Police look for Laundrie in reserve; Petito still not found
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Moab homicide victims told friends if something happened to them, they were murdered
- Part of Lindon goes on lockdown as police look for suspect
- The latest in the case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Attorney: Person of interest in Gabby Petito case is now missing
- Breaking: Paraglider crash in Draper claims one life
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend
- Destructive TikTok licks trend hits Utah schools
- Gabby Petito’s family and police urge her fiancé to come forward with any information…