SMITHFIELD, Utah — A five year old boy is dead after finding a gun and playing with it, according to Smithfield Police Chief Travis Allen.
Allen told KSL Tuesday the shooting appeared to be a tragic accident that took place on Sunday morning.
According to Allen, the family went camping, returning late Saturday night, and did not immediately put away their supplies. Sunday morning, Allen says the five-year-old woke up and found the handgun in the camping gear. It went off while he was playing with the gun, police said.
Investigators believe the shot killed the child instantly, striking him in the head. Other family members were asleep at the time.
Police did not release the child’s name.
Today’s Top Stories
- Police look for Laundrie in reserve; Petito still not found
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Moab homicide victims told friends if something happened to them, they were murdered
- Part of Lindon goes on lockdown as police look for suspect
- The latest in the case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Attorney: Person of interest in Gabby Petito case is now missing
- Breaking: Paraglider crash in Draper claims one life
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend
- Destructive TikTok licks trend hits Utah schools
- Gabby Petito’s family and police urge her fiancé to come forward with any information…