Smoky skies and heat make their return to Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Despite the rain and flash flooding seen in parts of Utah last week, the scorching heat is back as are the smoky skies.
And KSL Meteorologist Grant Weyman warns that we will see more dry and smoky days across the Wasatch Front as last week’s storm moves east.
Smoky skies back in Utah
The National Environmental Satellite Data and Information Service shared this tweet showing smoke from fires in the west moving east.
#SATELLITE SPOTLIGHT: As the sun set yesterday, @NOAA‘s #GOES17🛰️ kept close watch over the expanding #wildfires in California. Some of the fires seen here include the #McFarlandFire, #MonumentFire, and the #DixieFire, which is now the 11th-largest in Calif. state history. #CAwx pic.twitter.com/UHDgHJo2ZU
— NOAA Satellites – Public Affairs (@NOAASatellitePA) August 4, 2021
Air quality is expected to be unhealthy for the rest of the week across the Wasatch Front, with smoky skies persisting across Utah.
AQ not so good today… pic.twitter.com/h3dknmIwnG
— Grant Weyman (@KSLweyman) August 4, 2021
The Utah Division of Environmental Quality provides a three-day forecast for counties across the state of Utah. The forecast indicates whether the air is suitable for those with respiratory conditions. On Wednesday, air quality was deemed unhealthy for sensitive groups in Davis, Salt Lake, Utah, Weber, and Box Elder counties. That forecast was expected to remain the same in those counties through Friday.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- Letters from surviving roommates read at church memorial service for slain University of…
- Authorities swat down rumors surrounding unsolved killings of 4 University of Idaho students
- Deadline for REAL ID-compliant license, ID card, extended to 2025
- Biden extends student loan repayment freeze as program remains in court
- Lawmakers propose all-day kindergarten bill, UEA fully supports it
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]