U.S. planning to require COVID-19 vaccination for foreign travelers
SALT LAKE CITY– The Biden administration is taking steps towards requiring foreign travelers to the U.S. have the COVID-19 vaccination.
COVID-19 vaccination for foreign travelers
According to the Associated Press, there is no specific time of when this requirement will be implemented. Officials are still in the process of developing the plan and an announcement is not happening soon.
Interagency groups are currently studying how and when individuals can safely resume normal travel. According to AP, all foreign travelers entering the country, with some limited exceptions, are expected to have the COVID-19 vaccination.
A White House official told CNN, though a final plan has not been finalized, it will include requiring all foreign nationals traveling to the U.S. from all countries to be fully vaccinated, with limited exceptions.
Officials stated the administration came close to lifting current travel restrictions however, the Delta variant is spreading too quickly.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Delta variant now accounts for more than 90% of coronavirus circulating in the U.S.
Current travel restrictions
The travel restrictions were put in place in March 2020, when many countries shut down their borders to stop the spread of COVID-19. Gov. Gary Herbert introduced travel restrictions for Utah specifically in April 2020.
Additionally, abroad tourism has essentially been halted under the COVID-19 travel restrictions.
The Biden administration has kept in place travel restrictions that have reduced international trips to the US. According to AP, “Under the rules, non-U.S. residents who have been to China, the European Schengen area, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, South Africa and India in the prior 14 days are prohibited from entering the U.S.”
All travelers going to the US, regardless of vaccination status, are required to show a negative COVID-19 test within three days of travel.
Today’s Top Stories
- Semifinalists for the new Utah flag design unveiled
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- New fire breaks out on Y Mountain in Provo
- BYU student and youngest-ever Survivor contestant says he’s confident he will win
- Be on lookout for suspicious vehicle in Nephi
- Home prices in Salt Lake City harbinger of a national trend?
- Former U.S. Attorney for Utah talks about what FBI can take off your cellphone
- North Korea fires ballistic missile into waters off east coast of Korean peninsula
- Time Out on the Field