SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City School District will continue the current practice of strongly encouraging all students, employees and visitors to wear masks. District officials plan to wait for more direction from Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall on masks in schools. This information was relayed in a statement from the SLCSD spokesperson Jason Olsen.
The statement pointed out that current law prohibits the district or a school from issuing a mask mandate.
However, Olsen went on to address those involved in the mask decision making process.
The district recognizes that the mayor has broad powers, independent of the board of education, under the Disaster Response and Recovery Act to address local emergencies and disasters affecting the city. Accordingly, we will await the mayor’s decision on whether she will issue an executive order.
Salt Lake City School District students will head back to school on Tuesday, August 24.
Read the statement in its entirety below.
— Lindsay Aerts (@LindsayOnAir) August 20, 2021
Olsen adds, “in the meantime, we are excited and getting ready for the start of school.”
The district’s full COVID-19 mitigation plans and policies are online here: https://www.slcschools.org/resources/covid-19-and-schools.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Obtain a flu shot.
- Seek out the COVID-19 vaccine.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Rob Bishop suddenly resigns from Utah Redistricting Commission
- 4 African lions at Utah’s Hogle Zoo test positive for COVID-19 Delta Variant
- Utah app “pirate” turns out to be wanted man from Indiana
- Extreme couponers were sent to prison in $31.8 million fraud scheme
- $24 billion in goods is floating outside California’s biggest ports
- Great Salt Lake dust could be toxic, bad for snow season
- Hospitals in need of crutches/canes across Utah, donations needed
- Ogden police investigating death of 41-year-old man
- Logan coffee shop offers help to those experiencing mental health crisis
- Police: 2 die, 4 injured in Idaho mall shooting