Students in Salt Lake City School District won’t be disciplined for not wearing masks
SALT LAKE CITY — So, are masks required in the Salt Lake City School District, or not?
District officials say they still want students to keep their faces covered while in class, but it doesn’t appear that kids will get in trouble if they don’t.
When the school year started, officials with the Salt Lake City School District said they would be following Mayor Erin Mendenhall’s orders requiring masks inside the classrooms. However, there were questions about how strictly the code would be enforced. Some parents tell KSL they were told by their principals that all children who refuse to wear one would be put into a waiting area until someone could take them home.
However, District Spokesman Jason Olsen confirms they have instructed their educators not to discipline students who won’t wear one. He tells KSL their main goal is to keep students in class, where teaching is most effective.
He said, “The thing we don’t want to do is escalate a situation and a disagreement about a mask. We don’t want to shame students.”
The best tools
Olsen says the district still believes vaccines and masks are the best tools they have to limit the spread of COVID-19, and, they plan to educate children about masks every chance they get.
“That’s also the place we can teach them and encourage them and show them that masks are very important, and the best way they can keep themselves and their friends healthy,” Olsen said. “We will take every opportunity we can to teach them about masks and inform them about the mayor’s order.”
Olsen acknowledges parents have strong opinions about mask mandates, either for or against. However, he says students aren’t as polarized.
“What we have seen, as we’ve gone out into our schools, is that almost every single student and all of our employees are wearing masks. They’re interacting with each other, they’re engaging and they’re learning, and that’s what we want to happen,” Olsen said.
- Salt Lake City begins classes with school mask mandate in effect
- Salt Lake City to extend mask mandate within city limits
Today’s Top Stories
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Head on collision reported, State Route 73 closure
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Officer-involved shooting in Iron County
- LGBTQ advocacy groups to file lawsuit over Utah’s transgender-related surgery law
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Why is there an increase of wildlife in SLC neighborhoods?
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Frigid temperatures delaying some school start times