Utah Valley University latest to require COVID-19 vaccine for students
OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University became the latest Utah college to require students obtain a COVID-19 vaccine to stay on campus, the school announced Monday.
So far, in addition to UVU, Utah State University, Weber State University, and the University of Utah have all announced plans to require the vaccine for students. The University of Utah said it would announce more details this week.
UVU President Astrid Tuminez says in a letter that the decision came after speaking with local leaders and healthcare professionals. She also says interest seems to be high on campus, with a steady flow of students coming in for free vaccination clinics.
In addition to the vaccine requirement, UVU encourages students and staff to wear masks on campus, Tuminez said.
- BYU will require masks for students this fall, teachers have options
- Yes, businesses and colleges can legally keep the unvaccinated out
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Obtain a flu shot.
- Seek out the COVID-19 vaccine.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- Those who practice intermittent fasting less likely to have severe COVID complications,…
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- Could a gas strike work? One expert doubts it
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Anonymous donor offers $50K to help find missing South Salt Lake man
- Dog dies after being left in hot car for more than an hour
- Police: Parade shooting suspect contemplated 2nd shooting