No vaccine mandate for students at Southern Utah University
CEDAR CITY, Utah — Leaders at Southern Utah University announced Friday that the university will not require a COVID-19 vaccine mandate for its students.
SUU leaders had previously explored the possibility of a vaccine mandate. However, discussions with public health officials, community leaders and campus leadership made them reverse course. In the midst of those conversations, there were differing of opinions and certain factors that needed to be considered.
No vaccine mandate
“Due to these added complexities and additional conversations,” a statement from SUU leaders said. “We have determined it would not be prudent for our institution, at this time, to implement a vaccine requirement for students.”
The university, however, encourages all students to get vaccinated. Additionally, SUU leaders are also asking students to wear masks indoors.
“We know the best way to remain open and keep campus safe is to follow public health guidelines,” the statement from SUU leaders continued. “Including vaccination, mask usage, testing, social-distancing, and proper health hygiene.”
Clinics for students
SUU will host three on-campus vaccine clinics for students. The clinics are meant to help increase the vaccination rate on campus. The clinics will be Oct. 26, Nov. 9 and Dec. 7 all in the Cedar Breaks Room on the SUU campus.
Students will also have the opportunity to receive the flu shot at the Oct. 26 clinic.
Leaders also encourage those individuals on the SUU campus to stay home if they are sick. And if symptoms develop to get tested for COVID-19.
- Southern Utah University receives federal grant to help rural Utahns with opioid addiction
- No tuition increase this year at Southern Utah University
- The number of Utah women in higher education leadership positions improving
- Sweeping new vaccine mandates for 100 million Americans
Today’s Top Stories
- Semifinalists for the new Utah flag design unveiled
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- New fire breaks out on Y Mountain in Provo
- BYU student and youngest-ever Survivor contestant says he’s confident he will win
- Be on lookout for suspicious vehicle in Nephi
- Home prices in Salt Lake City harbinger of a national trend?
- Former U.S. Attorney for Utah talks about what FBI can take off your cellphone
- North Korea fires ballistic missile into waters off east coast of Korean peninsula
- Time Out on the Field