Arrest made in murder of University of Utah football player Aaron Lowe
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police announced an arrest early Sunday morning in the murder of Aaron Lowe, a football player at the University of Utah, one week ago at a party off campus.
Detectives booked Buk M. Buk, 22, into jail. He faces accusations of aggravated murder, attempted murder, and felony discharge of a firearm.
In a news release, the police department said its homicide detectives, gang unit, bike squad and SWAT team executed search warrants in both Layton and Draper, conducting more than two dozen interviews in the course of the investigation. Buk was arrested in Draper.
Tips, hard work lead to arrest in Aaron Lowe case
Chief Mike Brown issued a statement crediting the hard work of the department along with tips from the community for leading to the arrest.
In a time of need, we turned to our community. We asked people to come forward and to share the information they had. Because of those tips and the unrelenting pursuit of justice from our homicide detectives, we have arrested the person accused of murdering Aaron Lowe. So many lives have been impacted from this senseless shooting. I want to thank the work of our patrol officers, detectives, crime lab technicians, our data analysts, and the professional staff of the Salt Lake City Police Department. Their dedicated work of combing through every lead and every piece of evidence is what led us to this arrest.
Police allege Buk shot and killed Aaron Lowe at a party in a house on Broadmoor Street in Salt Lake City on Sept. 26, 2021. They accuse him of also shooting a woman who required surgery for her wounds. She remains in critical condition, according to police.
The police department planned to hold a news conference with more details later Sunday morning.
- Utah football player Aaron Lowe confirmed dead in SLC shooting
- Police have leads but need public’s help after death of Ute football player Aaron Lowe
- Organizers of vigil for Aaron Lowe urge everyone to “Be 22% better”
Today’s Top Stories
- Elk, again, tried to cross roads near I-215/I-80 interchange in SLC
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- Suspect arrested and named, victim identified after shooting in Taylorsville
- Missing radioactive capsule from Rio Tinto mine found on Australian road
- Opinion: Is sportsmanship dead in high school basketball?
- Alpine schools investigating “suspicious” computer activity
- Potential redesign of new Utah State Flag emphasizes Native American tribes
- Fed approves small rate hike, nodding to improved inflation outlook