Gov. says probe confirms sexual misconduct from former campaign manager
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Gov. Spencer Cox says an independent investigation concluded that his former campaign manager committed sexual misconduct against a former campaign employee.
Austin Cox, who is not related to Gov. Cox, was investigated by an outside firm after the woman accused him. In a statement, the governor’s office said the investigation substantiated the woman’s claims.
The investigation also found hostile conduct towards select members of the Cox campaign team.
We were devastated to learn of this abuse of trust and condemn this kind of behavior in the strongest terms. pic.twitter.com/VhO0EDL88R
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) October 7, 2021
Austin Cox resigned prior to the end of the governor’s campaign.
Gov., Lt. Gov. respond to investigation of former campaign manager
The governor says he takes full responsibility for the failure of the campaign’s policies which should have prevented this from happening.
The lieutenant governor also issued a statement, saying, “This brave woman brought her experiences to light despite tremendous risk,” and “it took incredible courage.”
This brave woman brought her experiences to light despite tremendous risk and personal hardship. It took incredible courage for her to speak up. We hope that any other victim of sexual or workplace misconduct knows that they have advocates and allies in us. https://t.co/DlCFtoAGuQ
— Deidre Henderson (@DeidreHenderson) October 7, 2021
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- Authorities swat down rumors surrounding unsolved killings of 4 University of Idaho students
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]