Brian Laundrie death ruled suicide
TAMPA, Fla. — Brian Laundrie’s death has been ruled a suicide according to autopsy results shared by his family’s attorney to Florida news station WFLA.
Brian Laundrie died of a gunshot wound to the head and the manner of death is suicide, according to Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino.
— Brian Entin (@BrianEntin) November 23, 2021
Laundrie was the only suspect identified by law enforcement in the disappearance and death of his fiance Gabby Petito earlier this year.
“Chris and Roberta Laundrie have been informed that the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head and the manner of death was suicide. Chris and Roberta are still mourning the loss of their son and are hopeful that these findings bring closure to both families,” Laundrie’s family attorney Steven Bertolino told WFLA.
The District 12 Medical Examiners Office in Florida did release a press release on the findings on Tuesday, confirming the statement from the Laundrie’s attorney.
Information about the origin of the gun used by Laundrie has not yet been released by the family’s lawyer.
Brian Laundrie’s skeletal remains were found along with a backpack and notebook on October 20, 2021, in a Florida nature preserve after an extensive search. His remains were found one month after Gabby Petito was found strangled to death in the Grand Teton national park in Wyoming.
The development in Laundrie’s autopsy report is the latest in a months-long investigation and search into the deaths of a young couple, Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito.
The couple had been traveling cross country in a van, posting to social media sites along the way. On August 12, 2021, Moab Police officers responded to a reported incident of domestic violence between Launtrie and Petito. “Officers conducted an investigation and determined that insufficient evidence existed to justify criminal charges,” said Moab Police Chief Bret Edge reflected on the incident in an email to KSL. The couple continued their trip Northward, with Petito last speaking to family on August 25th.
Gabby Petito was reported missing by family on September 11th, a full 10 days after Brian Laundrie had returned to his family home in Florida without her fiance. After Laundrie refused to speak to investigators he was also reported missing by his family on September 17th. Days later on September 19th, Petito’s body was found.
The FBI investigation is ongoing and more details will be forthcoming.
More like this
- Investigators confused Brian Laundrie’s mother for him while watching their home, police reportedly acknowledge
- What may be in that notebook belonging to Brian Laundrie?
- Gabby Petito timeline: Her summer trip, disappearance, and murder
Today’s Top Stories
- Heated driveways are a modern wonder, but what else can you do with radiant heating around…
- Black Layton football player punished after being called a racial slur
- Rose Bowl tickets available now for Utah football fans
- New US travel rules: What you need to know about the changes prompted by Omicron
- Car carrying infant involved in overnight road rage shooting on SR 201
- Meteorologists say rain and snow are headed to northern Utah this week
- A North Carolina man accidentally bought 2 identical lottery tickets — and won 2 jackpots
- White House announces US diplomatic boycott of 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing
- Could this be the week that snow arrives in Utah?
- A man jumped out of taxiing airplane at Phoenix’s Sky Harbor International Airport