Orem PD shoot man accused of stabbing his father
OREM, Utah — Police are investigating an incident of domestic violence in Orem where a man allegedly stabbed his father with a knife and then fled the scene. According to the Orem police department, after charging at officers, the suspect was shot and killed by police.
Man allegedly stabbed father, then fled
The incident began with a call reporting a domestic dispute around 10:46 p.m. Friday night, reported Lt. Jamison with Orem PD.
The officers were initially dispatched to the area of 1100 South 50 East in Orem.
BREAKING NOW: Large police investigation underway in #Orem (location details on KSL Today), @OremDPS confirms being called to a family incident. A second scene is not far from the first, it’s there a witness tells @jdubz66 he heard gunshots. @OremDPS not releasing info yet. #utah pic.twitter.com/yn8BWvn1g9
— Shara Park (@KSLSharaPark) November 29, 2021
Orem PD said a man allegedly stabbed his father with a knife, then fled the scene.
“Our officers were dispatched to a domestic violence call. The caller reported that their 41-yer-old son had attacked the father, who’s 68, with a knife,” said Orem Lt. Nicholas Thomas.
Officers and paramedics arrived at the scene of the crime and gave medical attention to the older man.
Officers also began looking for the suspect who allegedly stabbed his father, then fled on foot.
The suspect resisted arrest, shot by police
The male suspect was located about 25 minutes later near the location of the crime, reported police.
Officers tried to arrest the suspect but he didn’t comply.
“The officers, along with neighboring agencies that helped us, they set up a containment area, located the suspect a short distance away,” said Lt. Thomas.
He then charged the officers with weapons in both of his hands, according to Orem PD.
Shots were fired by at least one of the police officers attempting to arrest the suspect.
The male suspect was immediately given medical attention but he ultimately succumbed to his injuries on the scene, reported Orem police.
Father being treated
The original victim of the stabbing was transported to the hospital and treated there, say Orem PD.
His condition is unknown at this time.
Police are not releasing the identities of the suspect or his father at this time.
- South Jordan police officer in stable condition after being shot
- Man shot outside a wedding in Midvale dies
Today’s Top Stories
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- July 4 parade shooting leaves 6 dead, 30 hurt; man detained
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend