Omicron variant confirmed in Minnesota
MINNESOTA — Health Officials in Minnesota confirmed a positive case of the Omicron variant Thursday morning.
A news release from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDOH) reported the individual with the Omicron variant case recently returned from a trip to New York City.
The traveler visited New York to attend 2021 NYC Anime Convention at the Javits Center from November 19th-21st.
MDOH said they expected this development considering they have one of the best virus surveillance systems. They new if the Omicron variant came to Minnesota, they would find out quickly.
News Release: Lab testing confirms state’s first COVID-19 case involving Omicron variant https://t.co/kBQwR8XwPc
— mnhealth (@mnhealth) December 2, 2021
MN response to Omicron discovery
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz said in a statement;
“This news is concerning, but it is not a surprise. We know that this virus is highly infectious and moves quickly throughout the world. Minnesotans know what to do to keep each other safe now — get the vaccine, get tested, wear a mask indoors, and get a booster. Together, we can fight this virus and help keep Minnesotans safe.”
The news of the presence of Omicron in Minnesota comes less than 24 hours after California officials made the public aware of a confirmed Omicron variant case in their state.
Today’s Top Stories
- UTA releases video of the moments before woman was hit by FrontRunner
- Layton Police still searching for teenager missing from treatment center
- Family of Gabby Petito announces intent to file lawsuit against Moab Police
- FBI executes search warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago, former President says
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Utah’s senators react to passage of Inflation Reduction Act
- Olivia Newton-John, singer and actress, dies of breast cancer at 73
- Nine years later: the Susan Powell case revisited
- Police release video of Provo MTC shooting, hope for more information
- National Park Service stonewalls public records in Gabby Petito case