Church missionary serving in Alabama injured in a shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — A missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is injured in a shooting. According to a statement from the Church it occurred Friday night in a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama.
In the statement, Media Relations Manager of the Church Communication Department, Sam Penrod explained what happened.
“A missionary serving in the Alabama Birmingham Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is hospitalized in serious but stable condition after he was shot multiple times on Friday evening, December 3, 2021.”
Penrod said, “Elder Michael Fauber, 18, of Dayton, Ohio, was in the Birmingham Stake Center in Vestavia Hills with two other missionaries and a group of people interested in learning more about the Church. A weekly athletic activity was being held and basketball was being played in the cultural hall. At approximately 8:30 p.m., Elder Fauber spoke with an unknown individual who came into the building during the activity. A few moments later, Elder Fauber was shot multiple times. The shooter then fled.”
The Church spokesperson adds the missionary injured in the shooting, Elder Fauber has undergone surgery. The missionary’s parents are arriving Saturday afternoon.
Penrod also said, “other missionaries in the building were not physically hurt but are receiving counseling. The Church is cooperating with law enforcement and is awaiting additional details from investigators. Our prayers are with this missionary, his family and all the missionaries and others impacted by this senseless act of violence.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Frigid temperatures delaying some school start times
- A 6th Memphis officer is taken off the force after the fatal police beating of Tyre Nichols
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Man suspected of kidnapping and beating a woman in Oregon may be using dating apps to evade police
- Officer-involved shooting in Iron County
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Trump says he’s ‘more angry’ and ‘more committed’ to White…