Church missionary serving in Alabama injured in a shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — A missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is injured in a shooting. According to a statement from the Church it occurred Friday night in a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama.
In the statement, Media Relations Manager of the Church Communication Department, Sam Penrod explained what happened.
“A missionary serving in the Alabama Birmingham Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is hospitalized in serious but stable condition after he was shot multiple times on Friday evening, December 3, 2021.”
Penrod said, “Elder Michael Fauber, 18, of Dayton, Ohio, was in the Birmingham Stake Center in Vestavia Hills with two other missionaries and a group of people interested in learning more about the Church. A weekly athletic activity was being held and basketball was being played in the cultural hall. At approximately 8:30 p.m., Elder Fauber spoke with an unknown individual who came into the building during the activity. A few moments later, Elder Fauber was shot multiple times. The shooter then fled.”
The Church spokesperson adds the missionary injured in the shooting, Elder Fauber has undergone surgery. The missionary’s parents are arriving Saturday afternoon.
Penrod also said, “other missionaries in the building were not physically hurt but are receiving counseling. The Church is cooperating with law enforcement and is awaiting additional details from investigators. Our prayers are with this missionary, his family and all the missionaries and others impacted by this senseless act of violence.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Human chain formed to help after Pittsburgh bridge collapse
- Pennsylvania court strikes down expansive mail-in voting law
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse
- ‘We can do it in 5 minutes’: Governor Cox will sign bill giving state’s…
- Dead body found in the Jordan River
- Teachers’ union opposes curriculum bill under consideration in Utah
- VIDEO: Black Frontier Middle School student reportedly bullied on school bus
- Fatal auto-pedestrian accident in Salt Lake City
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Teen charged in juvenile court with two counts of first-degree murder in the Hunter High shooting