Shortage of snowplow drivers in Salt Lake County
SALT LAKE CITY — Just as Salt Lake City sees its first winter snowstorm, Salt Lake County reported they are short five snowplow drivers.
— SLCoPublicWorks (@SLCoPublicWorks) December 6, 2021
The job of a Salt Lake County snowplow driver
Kevyn Smeltzer, the division director for Salt Lake County Public Work, explained some of the difficulties of the job of a snowplow driver. He said drivers start with an hourly wage of $16. Although $16 an hour is over double Utah’s minimum wage of $7.25, drivers are “on-call.” They are only scheduled to work when snowplows are needed.
Salt Lake City now has the first measurable snowfall (0.1″ or more) this season! It has been 259 days since the last accumulating snow, which is the 4th longest streak with no snow. It’s the 5th latest snow of the season on record. #utwx pic.twitter.com/BoOdv8NrCk
— NWS Salt Lake City (@NWSSaltLakeCity) December 9, 2021
Over the last two years, winter has seen light snowfall which has meant reduced and unreliable hours for snowplow drivers.
When it does snow, it pours for snowplow drivers
Smeltzer told Dave & Dujanovic that drivers are called out to work at midnight, and can spend anywhere from 10 to 16 hours clearing snow. A night crew comes in for clean-up, but drivers will be called back out at midnight once again if needed.
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim in fatal auto pedestrian crash was 11 years old, investigation continues
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Utah Air National Guard Airman dies during routine deployment
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
- U of U community reacts to discovery of hidden cameras in campus bathrooms
- 18-year-old connected to Orem shooting turns himself in
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Storm bringing wind and snow to northern Utah