Salt Lake Temple reopening pushed back one year to 2025
SALT LAKE CITY — Officials from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints say that ongoing construction and renovation will push the Salt Lake Temple reopening to 2025.
When the renovation project was initially announced, church officials said that construction would last through 2024.
Related: Renovating a pioneer temple: Inside the process of updating the Salt Lake Temple
“The seismic strengthening of the Salt Lake Temple and the extensive remodel of the Temple and surrounding area are sacred and significant undertakings,” the First Presidency said in a statement.
“As the project has progressed, we have learned a great deal about the condition of the temple and its surroundings. The work is truly remarkable and is being guided by the First Presidency.
“Inspired modifications and additions to the project and scope have been made so the temple and Temple Square can serve many generations yet to come. It is anticipated that the temple and its surroundings will be completed in 2025.
Related: History and renovations of Salt Lake Temple and other temples
“We look forward to welcoming the world at that time to visit, tour and learn about this sacred temple and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”
The Salt Lake Temple has been closed for renovation since December 2019.
You may also enjoy:
Temple Square Christmas lights and activities for 2021
First Presidency gives update on historic temple renovations, changes to Salt Lake Temple
128-year-old Salt Lake Temple time capsule opened
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lake effect snow causes school delays in northern Utah
- Monday morning commute could be affected by additional inches of snow
- Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting
- Wrong way driver leads to fatal crash in Weber County
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- Body found by passersby on southbound I-15 at 600 North
- Utah’s COVID-19 transmissions slowed but still present
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…