Police find the gun that triggered an hours-long lockdown at West High
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police found the gun that forced an hours-long lockdown at West High School Monday morning
Investigators confirm the gun was found by a school resource officer, but they’re not releasing any details about how the gun was found, whether it was found on school property or why a student brought it to West High. Police searched the high school yesterday during the lockdown with no luck.
Three students were taken into custody after someone posted a picture to Snapchat that reportedly showed someone with a handgun inside a bathroom at the school. District officials say multiple students showed that picture to their counselors, who showed it to the principal’s office. Police say no shots were fired and the students were not in any physical danger while they were locked in their classrooms.
We have an update on this case. Our School Resource Officers have recovered the gun used in this incident. Our investigation with @slcschools is ongoing and we have no additional details to release.
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) December 14, 2021
Chatwin says tips continued to come through app even after the lockdown began.
Today’s Top Stories
- Southern Utah teenager dies in digging accident at state park in Kanab
- Kaysville woman scams friends and family of tax refunds
- In some instances, children as young as age 10 can work in Utah
- SLC experiences the 3rd largest rent increase in the nation
- Dog thrown out of car taken in by South Salt Lake Animal Services
- Division of Natural Resources offers weekly lawn watering guide
- Police say Herriman woman tried to bribe an officer
- More than $430K in drugs found stuffed in car speaker in St. George
- Man found dead from self-inflicted wound following SWAT situation
- FDA clears COVID booster shot for healthy kids ages 5 to 11