Police find the gun that triggered an hours-long lockdown at West High
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police found the gun that forced an hours-long lockdown at West High School Monday morning
Investigators confirm the gun was found by a school resource officer, but they’re not releasing any details about how the gun was found, whether it was found on school property or why a student brought it to West High. Police searched the high school yesterday during the lockdown with no luck.
Three students were taken into custody after someone posted a picture to Snapchat that reportedly showed someone with a handgun inside a bathroom at the school. District officials say multiple students showed that picture to their counselors, who showed it to the principal’s office. Police say no shots were fired and the students were not in any physical danger while they were locked in their classrooms.
We have an update on this case. Our School Resource Officers have recovered the gun used in this incident. Our investigation with @slcschools is ongoing and we have no additional details to release.
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) December 14, 2021
Chatwin says tips continued to come through app even after the lockdown began.
Today’s Top Stories
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Head on collision reported, State Route 73 closure
- Crash in Uintah County claims the life of a 19-year-old man
- LGBTQ advocacy groups to file lawsuit over Utah’s transgender-related surgery law
- Officer-involved shooting in Iron County
- Why is there an increase of wildlife in SLC neighborhoods?
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk