General Handbook for Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released
SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has released their updated General Handbook.
The guide is titled “General Handbook: Serving in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,” and was partially released nearly two years ago.
The updated handbook has been years in the making, according to the church.
Purpose of the update
The new guide includes updated guidance for the worldwide church.
“The purpose behind this . . . revision is to help every member serve in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in a more Christlike way”
“In a variety of ways, we’ve tried to make this book very accessible to every member of the Church, whether they’re a new member or a longtime member, whether they live in the United States or the most far-flung place on the planet,” said Elder Anthony D. Perkins, executive director of the Church’s Correlation Department.
The updated handbook is intended to explain the reason behind many church policies, simplify the preexisting text, and shorten the handbook.
The guide is the combination of previous church Handbook 1 (for stake presidents and bishops) and Handbook 2 (for all leaders). The General Handbook will now replace both of these previous handbooks.
Main points of the update
The church explains the handbook is meant to guide members on policy issues, “including medical marijuana, vaccinations, and prejudice.”
The handbook also included many other additions, such as using more culturally diverse music styles and how members of the church should use social media respectfully.
The church explains all updates to the handbook here.
Other languages to come
The guide will be published in other languages in 2022.
Bonneville International Corporation, the company that owns KSL NewsRadio, is a subsidiary of Deseret Management Corporation, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Laie Hawaii Mission announced by Church leadership
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces location of Ephraim temple
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake City Police cancel Amber alert for 11-year-old girl
- Update: Idaho Amber Alert canceled, children found safe
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Supreme Court sides with coach who sought to pray after game
- Judge schedules emergency hearing re: Utah abortion trigger law
- Elizabeth Smart says she was sexually assaulted on a plane
- 7-year-old boy in Layton critically injured after being hit by a car
- January 6 committee unexpectedly adds new hearing for Tuesday
- Kearns woman killed in a two-vehicle accident in Idaho
- The newest, weirdest summer treat is a ketchup-flavored popsicle