Crash backs up traffic on northbound I-15
MURRAY, Utah — A three-vehicle accident with injuries slowed traffic on northbound I-15 Saturday afternoon.
The crashed occurred at 5300 South on I-15, near milepost 300 just before 1:30 p.m. The three right lanes were closed due to the crash.
Troopers are investigating a crash with injuries at 5300 S I-15 northbound in Murray. The three right lanes are closed. Please slow down through the area and use alternate route if possible. More details will be released as they become available.
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) December 18, 2021
The accident occurred when a Mazda CX-5, traveling in the fourth lane, failed to slow for traffic ahead. As a result, it rear-ended a blue Mazda 3.
The impact caused the Mazda 3 to spin in a counterclockwise motion and it impacted the rear of the Honda civic. The Mazda 3 came to a stop facing south in the fourth lane. The Mazda CX-5 came to a stop in the second lane.
According to the Utah Highway Patrol, there were three brothers in the Mazda 3. The two in the front suffered minor injuries. However, a 15-year-old in the backseat was transported to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries.
The drivers of the other two vehicles were not injured.
Authorities say distracted driving is being looked into as a factor for the cause of the crash.
According to the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) all lanes of traffic were opened a few hours later.
Earlier crashes on I-15
Earlier Saturday, several crashes on northbound I-15 closed multiple lanes prior to the I-80 eastbound ramp at milepost 305. All of those lanes have since reopened.
More on this story will be published when it becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Walmart shooter left ‘death note,’ bought gun day of killing