Crash backs up traffic on northbound I-15
MURRAY, Utah — A three-vehicle accident with injuries slowed traffic on northbound I-15 Saturday afternoon.
The crashed occurred at 5300 South on I-15, near milepost 300 just before 1:30 p.m. The three right lanes were closed due to the crash.
Troopers are investigating a crash with injuries at 5300 S I-15 northbound in Murray. The three right lanes are closed. Please slow down through the area and use alternate route if possible. More details will be released as they become available.
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) December 18, 2021
The accident occurred when a Mazda CX-5, traveling in the fourth lane, failed to slow for traffic ahead. As a result, it rear-ended a blue Mazda 3.
The impact caused the Mazda 3 to spin in a counterclockwise motion and it impacted the rear of the Honda civic. The Mazda 3 came to a stop facing south in the fourth lane. The Mazda CX-5 came to a stop in the second lane.
According to the Utah Highway Patrol, there were three brothers in the Mazda 3. The two in the front suffered minor injuries. However, a 15-year-old in the backseat was transported to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries.
The drivers of the other two vehicles were not injured.
Authorities say distracted driving is being looked into as a factor for the cause of the crash.
According to the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) all lanes of traffic were opened a few hours later.
Earlier crashes on I-15
Earlier Saturday, several crashes on northbound I-15 closed multiple lanes prior to the I-80 eastbound ramp at milepost 305. All of those lanes have since reopened.
More on this story will be published when it becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- 8-year-old boy struck by car in Riverton, suffers head injury
- WB I-80 shut down after a crash between two semis and a Utah Highway Patrol car
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman