Hiker dies on Christmas Day in Padre Canyon
ST. GEORGE, Utah — A hiker suspected of having a medical emergency while hiking died on Christmas Day.
Sheriff’s Sgt. Darrell Cashin told St. George News the Washington County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue were called at around noon about a 75-year-old Ivins man suffering a medical emergency.
The man was hiking with a neighbors sister at the time along the Tuacahn and Snow Canyon, down into Padre Canyon. Around a mile and a half up the trail, the man began having seizures.
The woman hiking with him moved to find reception and called 911, after coming back his face had turned blue and she began CPR.
Search and rescue hiked in to reach the man and continued CPR, but he was eventually pronounced dead at the scene.
The cause of the death is still unknown, the Utah Medical Examiner will be investigating the death. Washington County Sheriff detectives will also investigate the accident and contact the family.
The name has not been released by the police.
Today’s Top Stories
- Car drives into parade, hits horse and rider
- UDOT warns winter storm bringing roadway impacts
- UPDATE: Southbound I-15 lanes in Washington County reopen following closure
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- One person flees I-15 crash in Murray
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- ‘Fame’ and ‘Flashdance’ singer-actor Irene Cara dies at 63
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished