Family loses everything to motorhome explosion
VEYO, Utah — A family lost everything in a motorhome explosion on Monday. Two children and their father are in critical condition.
A hometown road trip gone awry
The Copelands were traveling to a small town in Utah where they once lived. The family of six was visiting Veyo, Utah in their motorhome.
Kyle and Whitney Copeland are the parents of four children; two daughters, and two sons. Kyle Copeland is an investment manager and has the ability to work remotely from anywhere in the country. They decided to sell their home and converted a bus into a motorhome. The family packed up their life and began to travel the country.
KSL TV’s Matt Rascon spoke to Kyle Copeland’s father, Greg Copeland, about the incident.
On Monday night, one of Kyle and Whitney’s daughters reported hearing strange noises from the propane heater, said Copeland. Around 10:00 p.m., their home exploded.
A witness reported she could see the fireball from two miles away.
The vehicle reportedly exploded on Center Street in Veyo. Rascon reported that Kyle ran into the flames to retrieve his youngest and eldest child.
When officials arrived on scene they reported seeing flames coming out of a Big Bird Bus, and that the vehicle was nearly fully engulfed. All occupants were outside of the vehicle.
Family loses their transportation, their home
Kyle, his eldest daughter, and his youngest were life-flighted to a nearby hospital. Once medical personnel saw their injuries, Kyle and his eldest were transported to a burn treatment center in Las Vegas. Kyle’s father told Rascon that 80% of his 11-year-old granddaughter’s skin was covered in burns.
The mother and the two other children were transported to a hospital by an ambulance.
The father, oldest daughter and youngest son are reportedly hurt with severe burns and in critical condition. The mother, oldest son, youngest daughter and the family pet are unharmed.
Friends of the family are fundraising for them. The GoFundMe specifies that the family lost all “worldly possessions;” the fire took not only their transportation, but their home.
KSL NewsRadio does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Driving away from gas pump leads to explosion in Salt Lake City
- Update: Two apartments a complete loss after explosion in Springville
Today’s Top Stories
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient
- Salt Lake City Police cancel Amber alert for 11-year-old girl
- Jan. 6 panel calls surprise hearing to present new evidence
- AP sources: At least 40 people found dead in back of tractor trailer
- UDOT seeks public feedback on future of Bangerter Highway
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Lawmaker seeks to remove felony statute from Utah’s abortion trigger law
- The newest, weirdest summer treat is a ketchup-flavored popsicle
- The Utah primary election is expected to be ‘pretty normal’