Former U.S. Senator Harry Reid passes away at 82
CARSON CITY, Nev. — Harry Reid, a former United States Senator and Senate Majority Leader from Nevada passed away Tuesday, following a four-year battle with pancreatic cancer, according to a family statement.
Reid, 82, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was the highest elected church member.
New York Senator Chuck Schumer went to social media Tuesday to reflect on the passing of Reid.
Harry Reid was one of the most amazing individuals I’ve ever met
He never forgot where he came from and used those boxing instincts to fearlessly fight those who were hurting the poor & the middle class
He’s gone but will walk by the sides of many of us in the Senate every day pic.twitter.com/8T9PiD7vY4
— Chuck Schumer (@SenSchumer) December 29, 2021
Reid served Nevada in the U.S. Senate from 1987 to 2017. He lived to see the Las Vegas airport renamed after him, which was done earlier this month.
Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak also went to social media on Tuesday to share his thoughts on passing of the former Nevada Senator.
Senator Harry Reid was a mentor, father figure, and someone I always looked up to—There will never be another leader like him.
Kathy and I send our condolences to Landra and the Reid family.
Senator Reid will be deeply missed but the mark he left on our state will last forever. pic.twitter.com/FU08pACpo0
— Steve Sisolak (@SteveSisolak) December 29, 2021
Reid was born on Dec. 2, 1939 in a town called Searchlight, roughly 50 miles southeast of Henderson.
He went on to earn an associate of arts degree from the College of Southern Utah (now Southern Utah University) in 1959. He also graduated from Utah State in 1961 with a bachelor’s degree in political science and history. He also minored in economics at Utah State.
Utah leaders react
Utah Sen. Mike Lee also responded Tuesday to the passing of Reid.
— Mike Lee (@SenMikeLee) December 29, 2021
- Nevada attorney general to Utah’s Sean Reyes: ‘mind his own business’
- Inside Sources: Previewing the VP debate with Harry Reid
Today’s Top Stories
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead
- Murray Police warning public to be on lookout for scam
- Saturday morning conference session makes history
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- The sad history of Tragedy Spring
- ‘Any kind of abuse … is an abomination,’ President Nelson says at Saturday morning session
- Other paths to consider when thinking about attending college
- Indonesia stadium riot: At least 127 people reported dead following soccer match, police say
- Nations largest pig farm exposed, two face criminal charges
- Parents pushing back on ongoing mask requirement in Utah schools