Police arrest murder suspect after finding him in Mexico
SALT LAKE CITY — A murder suspect has been delivered to Salt Lake City authorities after escaping to Mexico.
The murder investigation
The case started in 2016 when the suspect, Fortunato Villagrana, went after some teenagers with a gun.
Salt Lake City police reported the shooting appeared to be a reaction to a car full of teenagers throwing eggs at people from a moving car. Police accuse him of driving to his home, getting a gun, and then searching for the teens responsible.
According to police, Villagrana allegedly leaned part of his body out of the window with someone else, Martin Cruz, driving, then shot into the vehicle of the kids throwing the eggs.
Salt Lake patrol officers then found the victim, 16-year-old Paris Gustin, on the ground with a gunshot wound. Officers pronounced him dead on the scene.
KSL.com reports the full story of the early investigation here.
In 2017, a $1,000,000 warrant was issued for Villagrana’s arrest, according to KSL.com.
After the shooting, homicide detectives believe Villagrana fled to Mexico.
Multiple law enforcement agencies (the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office, the United States Department of Justice, the United States Marshals Service, and law enforcement) located and arrested the murder suspect in Mexico.
Suspect transported back to states for arrest
Authorities arrested Fortunato Villagrana upon his return to the states. He’s now in the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on suspicion of murder and felony discharge of a firearm.
Court case ongoing
The court case in this crime is still ongoing. His next court hearing is scheduled for January 24th, reports KSL.com.
This story is developing and will be updated.
- Update: West Jordan High responds to Christmas Day shooting of student; meanwhile, two suspects are under arrest
- A Christmas Eve shooting lands a West Jordan man in jail
Today’s Top Stories
- Semifinalists for the new Utah flag design unveiled
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Home prices in Salt Lake City harbinger of a national trend?
- New fire breaks out on Y Mountain in Provo
- Former U.S. Attorney for Utah talks about what FBI can take off your cellphone
- BYU student and youngest-ever Survivor contestant says he’s confident he will win
- Be on lookout for suspicious vehicle in Nephi
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Time Out on the Field
- Citations against people experiencing homelessness ‘not effective’ according to…