UPDATE: Salt Lake County Council will hold special meeting on Thursday to vote on mask order
SALT LAKE COUNTY, Utah — The Salt Lake County Council will decide on Thursday, January 12 if people in the county will still have to mask indoors.
The special meeting will happen at 4 p.m. on Thursday. There will be no public comment period.
The Salt Lake County Council meeting on Tuesday was a marathon. Some council members seemed fed up. One council member tried to adjourn the meeting in the middle of voting.
Although the council wasn’t planning to vote on anything on Tuesday, Council Member David Alvord proposed a special vote hoping to overturn the mask order.
It took three separate votes to change the agenda and make a decision on the mask mandate. The series of votes concluded with the approval of a special meeting for a final vote to approve or overturn the mask mandate.
In contrast to an earlier statement, Stringham cast the final vote that paved the way for the special meeting.
Ultimately, it seems Stringham will also be the deciding vote on whether the mask mandate stands during the special meeting. However, it is uncertain how she will vote.
- Utah health officials on state’s covid risk score calculator: race/ethnicity isn’t automatic qualifier
- US shoppers find some groceries scarce due to virus, weather
- Could Utah’s Omicron peak happen soon? Doctors say it’s possible
Today’s Top Stories
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- One person killed in wrong-way collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Tom Brady announces retirement: ‘I’m retiring for good’
- Cold weather causes late start for Logan City School District Wednesday
- Potential redesign of new Utah State Flag emphasizes Native American tribes
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Correctional officer assaulted at Utah State Correctional Facility
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- Bill would require parental permission for Utah teens to use social media
- Instagram’s founders are back with a new app