Duchesne County ‘wolf-hybrid’ found dead confirmed to be German shepherd
DUCHESNE, Utah — Turns out the animal found in Duchesne County last week, thought to be a wolf-dog hybrid… is actually just a German Shepherd.
The Deseret News reported on the wolf-adjacent animal. It was found by Stephen Gray, who was heading home after a day of hunting near Duchesne in northeastern Utah when one of his friends spotted something odd.
The group pulled over to where the dead animal lay. Gray and his group grew certain the animal was in fact a wolf or a wolf-hybrid. He had experience seeing wolves in states like Alaska and Montana, although this wolf was notably smaller.
The Division of Wildlife Resources received the report, went to the scene, and collected the carcass for genetic testing. And through its testing, the DWR discovered it was, in fact, not a wolf.
During its investigation, conservation officers learned a Duchesne resident witnessed his black German Shepherd get hit by a vehicle. It happened in the same place where the group found what they thought at the time was a woof.
In a press release, the DWR disclosed the dog’s owner is elderly and was unable to move the animal’s body because of its size.
Wolf sightings in Utah are rare, unlikely
If the animal were a relative of a wolf, it would be the first time a wolf had been in Utah in years. Since 2002, only 20 wolf sightings have been reported in Utah.
Besides being rare in the state, the DWR says wolves cover long distances in a short amount of time and are often hard to spot.
“Wolf sightings are commonly reported, but upon further investigation, most of them have turned out to be coyotes or domestic dogs,” DWR non-game Mammals Coordinator Kimberly Hersey said.
Regardless, Hersey encouraged people to continue to report sightings as soon as they can and to include photos or videos when possible.
Today’s Top Stories
- West Valley City shooting leaves child in critical condition
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Springville shooting: Suspect identified, teenage girl on life support, police say
- Two teens dead in North Ogden crash after police pursuit
- UPDATE: Provo Police file charges against a man who allegedly threatened a school
- Suspect in death of Pleasant Grove woman identified as her biological son
- One person dead in reported murder-suicide in Springville, Utah
- Utah homes at risk of having dangerous levels of radon gas
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Man injured after falling off house roof in Sandy