Two Utah National Guard soldiers to compete in upcoming Winter Games
DRAPER, Utah — Two soldiers with the Utah National Guard Joint Force Headquarters have been selected to the U.S. Olympic Nordic Combined Team and will compete in the upcoming Winter Olympics in China.
Spc. Jasper Good, of Steamboat Springs, Colorado, and Spc. Benjamin Loomis, of Eau Claire, Wisconsin both earned spots to compete in Beijing. Both have been assigned to the U.S. Army World Class Athlete Program.
Utah National Guard soldiers to compete again
Both soldiers also participated in the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
“I am incredibly honored and excited to be named to the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team,” said Good in a press release. “Representing Team USA at the Games means even more to me as a member of the U.S. Army World Class Athlete Program. The support and camaraderie I have gained has helped me reach new levels. It will be an honor to represent the U.S. I am really excited about how much progression our team has made and can’t wait to perform with my team in Beijing.”
Preparing for the Olympics
In preparation for the Games, both of the Utah National Guard Soldiers have been participating in the 2021-2022 FIS Nordic Combined World Cup in Europe.
Loomis was nominated for the team after finishing second at an Olympic qualification on Dec. 25, 2021 in Lake Placid, New York.
“I am humbled and very proud to be representing the United States of America as both a soldier and an athlete,” said Loomis in a press release. “Representing this country and the U.S. Army in Beijing is a true honor and something I hope will inspire future generations.”
During the 2022 Winter Olympics, the Nordic Combined events will take place at the Kuyangshu Nordic Center and Biathlon Center. The events will take place on Feb. 9, Feb. 15 and Feb. 17.
The Beijing Winter Olympics begin Feb. 3.
- US athletes should boycott 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics, Stewart says
- White House announces US diplomatic boycott of 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing
Today’s Top Stories
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Frontier Airlines no longer has a customer service phone line
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Fugitive taken into custody following SWAT stand-off in Taylorsville
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah