Full house to vote on a bill that tightens Utah’s election security
SALT LAKE CITY –A bill that tightens Utah’s election security is headed for a full House vote.
If passed, House Bill 313 would create a law mandating that someone who votes in Utah cannot also vote in another state.
It would mandate that a voter provide a valid identification card if they did not do so when registering to vote.
And it would create 24-hour video surveillance of drop boxes used by Utah voters.
“This bill improves our systems and processes,” said Lt. Governor Diedre Henderson who came to Tuesday’s committee hearing to offer her support of the bill.
Utah’s director of elections, Ryan Cowley, said his concern is for the cost of 24-hour dropbox monitoring. He wants to assure that a requirement for monitoring won’t lead to fewer dropboxes in Utah.
Supporters of the bill say that wouldn’t happen because the bill also requests money from the state to pay for the surveillance.
House Bill 313 would also require the Lt. Governor’s office to audit voter registration rolls and tighten up the rules for those who are responsible for moving the ballots.
“The county clerks (currently) treat the ballots with respect, and we haven’t had any issues there,” Cowley said. “But it’s not a bad thing to have a few more rules.”
- Lawmakers want audit of Utah election results, state leaders say no statewide fraud
- Top officials: Nov. 3 election most secure in US history
- Group pushes for in-person voting, county clerks call it a bad idea
- Clerk details voter safety measures protecting your mail-in ballot from fraud
Today’s Top Stories
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- Party ban becomes permanent for Airbnb
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Supreme Court widens state power over tribes. What does it mean for Utah?
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Florida judge allows lawsuit filed by Gabby Petito’s parents against Brian…