Jeff Caplan’s Minute of News: Snoop Dog and NFTs
This is an editorial piece. An editorial, like a news article, is based on fact but also shares opinions. The opinions expressed here are solely those of the author and are not associated with our newsroom.
SALT LAKE CITY — The other day in the newsroom we were doing a story about cryptocurrency, and we struggled to explain what it is in a way the uninitiated would understand in 10 seconds.
It’s a secure blockchain techn — wait, what’s a blockchain? So here’s the definition of cryptocurrency I’m comfortable sharing with you:
“Crypto is electric magic money that you can’t see. But young people can.”
There you go.
Now NFT’s. I can’t get there. I think they’re like an electric magic version of Babe Ruth’s rookie baseball card.
But really all you need to know about NFT’s is that Snoop Dog has made more money in the three days after the Super Bowl than you’ll make in a lifetime.
I mean… Snoop!
He shows up in front of 100-million people in a royal blue jumpsuit… he’s doing the crip walk… throwing gang signs. Did you notice? Didn’t think so. Somebody caught a picture of Snoop smoking a joint right before going on stage to open the show.
To Snoop’s credit… I didn’t hear any profanity. There was no wardrobe malfunction. And Snoop’s reward for good behavior? Over the past five days …he’s reportedly sold 44-million dollars worth of NFT’s. Most of it goes straight into his pocket. The NFT is a picture of a stash box which is like a cigar box… but different y’know. It’s emblazed with the letters BODR. Which stands for Bacc on Death Row. That’s the record label he just bought. Death Row Records.
All this proves NFT’s are just like Babe Ruth’s rookie card. If the Babe was rolling a joint and throwing gang signs to the crips.
Listen to Jeff Caplan’s Afternoon News every weekday from 3 to 7 p.m. for more of his “My Minute of News.” And check out the podcast below.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 1,500 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Winter blues: light therapy and lifestyle changes can help
- SLCPD makes arrest connected to fatal stabbing case
- Check your pantry, a Conagra canned meat recall may affect you
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen