Man accused in Logan kidnapping reportedly claims he thought victim was his wife
LOGAN, Utah — A Cache County man accused of trying to abduct a woman near Logan High School has been arrested and booked for aggravated kidnapping. Investigators say the man claims he thought he was grabbing his wife, but police say they have doubts about his story.
Police say Carlos Cisneros-Diaz attacked a woman walking along 300 South 150 West in Logan Tuesday morning. Witnesses told police they saw the suspect punch the woman in the face and try to force her into the truck of a car. Logan Police Captain Curtis Hooley says Diaz wasn’t able to do that.
Hooley said, “She fought and was able to get away from him.”
After the attempted Logan kidnapping, Diaz reportedly drove away, and nearby witnesses tried to follow. Police were able to track him down after pictures of his car were posted to social media, and Hooley says they were able to find a key piece of evidence after they got a search warrant.
“They found a flip-flop type sandal at the scene of where the kidnapping occurred. There was another one from the search warrant that was located in his car,” he said.
A strange statement
While police were interviewing Diaz, Hooley says the suspect made a strange statement. Diaz reportedly claimed he thought the victim was his wife, and that he let her go once he realized it wasn’t her.
Hooley said, “He left the house and he had been drinking, and I believe he was going to get cigarettes at a store when he saw an individual that he thought was his wife and he tried to grab her.”
Even if it was his wife, Hooley says it still rises to the level of aggravated kidnapping. Hooley says he doubts the attack was an impromptu thing since Diaz reportedly wore a mask to conceal his identity.
Hooley said, “The victim says he was wearing a mask. She certainly didn’t know him.”
Along with aggravated kidnapping, Diaz was booked for robbery and assault with substantial bodily injury. He was even booked for reckless driving and two stop sign infractions for speeding away from the scene.
- Logan man arrested for allegedly sharing child porn on Facebook
- Logan man sentenced to 5 years in federal prison on investment schemes
Today’s Top Stories
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Brigham City Police locate missing teenager
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- West Valley police searching for suspect in apartment stabbing
- Bill introduced to keep teacher salary increases on pace with inflation