Man accused of kidnapping 14-year-old Magna girl charged with a felony
MAGNA, Utah — Frank David Lopez, age 20, is under arrest in San Antonio and charged with aggravated kidnapping in the case of a missing girl from Magna, Utah.
KSL NewsRadio first reported the story when Unified Police issued an AMBER Alert for the 14-year-old Magna girl on Tuesday, March 22.
14-year-old Areli Arroyo Osuna is the subject of an AMBER Alert, last seen Monday wearing a denim jacket/jeans. Suspect is driving an older model Nissan Altima, license plate not yet available. Please call 911 with information. #Missing @UPDSL #missinginUtah #Magna pic.twitter.com/m4ZRrqy8cw
— KSL NewsRadio (@kslnewsradio) March 22, 2022
Police said that Lopez picked up the child from her home and that he was in the car with other people at that time. Unified Police reported that the child was seen getting into the suspect’s vehicle.
The child was found later in the day on Tuesday in Texas.
#Utah #AMBERAlert has been canceled Valley Emergency Communications: black Nissan Altima. Suspect is David Lopez. Victim is Areli Arroyo Osuna who is 14 years old 4’7″ 90 lbs brown hair brown eyes. Check local media or see https://t.co/9Ygk40uOOR @AMBERAlert
— Utah Public Safety (@UtahDPS) March 22, 2022
Sgt. Melody Cutler with Unified Police told KSL NewsRadio that even if the child got into the car willingly, Lopez’s actions are still considered kidnapping.
The two reportedly met on social media “a few months ago.”
The Magna girl is expected to return to Utah with her family on Thursday or Friday.
- Missing Magna girl, subject of an Amber alert, is found in Texas
- What are the criteria for an AMBER Alert?
- Is it time for parents to remove kids from social media?
- Utah missing girl’s case highlights new concerns over virtual world apps
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- The DWR to update management of black bears
- Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac dead at 79
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples