Man accused of kidnapping 14-year-old Magna girl charged with a felony
MAGNA, Utah — Frank David Lopez, age 20, is under arrest in San Antonio and charged with aggravated kidnapping in the case of a missing girl from Magna, Utah.
KSL NewsRadio first reported the story when Unified Police issued an AMBER Alert for the 14-year-old Magna girl on Tuesday, March 22.
14-year-old Areli Arroyo Osuna is the subject of an AMBER Alert, last seen Monday wearing a denim jacket/jeans. Suspect is driving an older model Nissan Altima, license plate not yet available. Please call 911 with information. #Missing @UPDSL #missinginUtah #Magna pic.twitter.com/m4ZRrqy8cw
— KSL NewsRadio (@kslnewsradio) March 22, 2022
Police said that Lopez picked up the child from her home and that he was in the car with other people at that time. Unified Police reported that the child was seen getting into the suspect’s vehicle.
The child was found later in the day on Tuesday in Texas.
#Utah #AMBERAlert has been canceled Valley Emergency Communications: black Nissan Altima. Suspect is David Lopez. Victim is Areli Arroyo Osuna who is 14 years old 4’7″ 90 lbs brown hair brown eyes. Check local media or see https://t.co/9Ygk40uOOR @AMBERAlert
— Utah Public Safety (@UtahDPS) March 22, 2022
Sgt. Melody Cutler with Unified Police told KSL NewsRadio that even if the child got into the car willingly, Lopez’s actions are still considered kidnapping.
The two reportedly met on social media “a few months ago.”
The Magna girl is expected to return to Utah with her family on Thursday or Friday.
- Missing Magna girl, subject of an Amber alert, is found in Texas
- What are the criteria for an AMBER Alert?
- Is it time for parents to remove kids from social media?
- Utah missing girl’s case highlights new concerns over virtual world apps
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Arrest made after fatal Logan Canyon crash
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Lawyer: Trump indicted; 1st ex-president charged with crime
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Utah drought conditions see “significant” improvement
- Jury finds Paltrow not liable in ski collision trial
- Nine soldiers killed after Army helicopters crash in Kentucky
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes