Police shoot carjacking suspect Saturday in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — Officers shot and killed a carjacking suspect Saturday in Salt Lake City near the interchange of I-215 and I-80, Salt Lake City police said.
Suspect in carjacking first spotted near I-15 and 600 South
Police said the suspect tried to carjack one vehicle near I-15 and 600 South, then succeeded in carjacking a second before fleeing from police in that stolen car.
Sgt. Mark Wian provides an update to this incident. #slc #slcpd #saltlakecity pic.twitter.com/f4NFDkh9MI
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) March 27, 2022
In a video posted to Twitter, the Salt Lake City Police Department said the suspect and officers exchanged fire near 220 South Orange St., resulting in the suspect’s death.
“This all started just before six o’clock this evening in the area of 600 South I-15,” said Sgt. Mark Wian, referring to the initial carjacking attempt and subsequent successful carjacking. “Our officers spotted that vehicle, attempted to stop it.”
According to Wian, the suspect continued to flee, leading officers to the area of 280 South Orange St., which is near the interchange of I-80 and I-215 on Salt Lake City’s west side.
Wian said the carjacking and shooting did not result in injuries to any police officers or bystanders.
As expected when police officers use deadly force, Salt Lake City invoked its own officer-involved critical incident protocol. The officers involved are on paid administrative leave while an outside agency investigates.
KSL reporters remain on the scene and will provide more details when they become available.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Murray doctor charged with sexual exploitation of a minor
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Median price of a home declines for first time in a decade, what it means for Utah
- Mother tells of her escape from addiction and being homeless
- Should the Bible be banned from school libraries?
- Man arrested for suspicion of arson in Orem house fire
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump