Police shoot carjacking suspect Saturday in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — Officers shot and killed a carjacking suspect Saturday in Salt Lake City near the interchange of I-215 and I-80, Salt Lake City police said.
Suspect in carjacking first spotted near I-15 and 600 South
Police said the suspect tried to carjack one vehicle near I-15 and 600 South, then succeeded in carjacking a second before fleeing from police in that stolen car.
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) March 27, 2022
In a video posted to Twitter, the Salt Lake City Police Department said the suspect and officers exchanged fire near 220 South Orange St., resulting in the suspect’s death.
“This all started just before six o’clock this evening in the area of 600 South I-15,” said Sgt. Mark Wian, referring to the initial carjacking attempt and subsequent successful carjacking. “Our officers spotted that vehicle, attempted to stop it.”
According to Wian, the suspect continued to flee, leading officers to the area of 280 South Orange St., which is near the interchange of I-80 and I-215 on Salt Lake City’s west side.
Wian said the carjacking and shooting did not result in injuries to any police officers or bystanders.
As expected when police officers use deadly force, Salt Lake City invoked its own officer-involved critical incident protocol. The officers involved are on paid administrative leave while an outside agency investigates.
KSL reporters remain on the scene and will provide more details when they become available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pilot uninjured in Mountain Green plane crash
- Iran calls for US to be kicked out of 2022 World Cup after it changes Iran flag on social…
- Car drives into parade, hits horse and rider
- UDOT warns winter storm bringing roadway impacts
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- UPDATE: Southbound I-15 lanes in Washington County reopen following closure
- Construction begins on Midway ice castles one icicle at a time
- One person flees I-15 crash in Murray