Renovation of St. George Temple passes two-year mark
ST. GEORGE, Utah — The renovation project on the St. George Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has crossed the two-year mark.
And while a specific date isn’t given, a Church spokesman says the project is nearing completion.
“One of the main things that we’ve done the last year is to finish all the primary upgrades we needed to do to the historic temple,” said Eric Jamison, project manager of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in a press release
The St. George Temple, which was dedicated in 1877, is the oldest operating temple in the Church. Contractors from different companies are working together to improve the pioneer-era temple.
A Church press release says that the exterior of the north addition is ready for painting and improvements to the grounds are on schedule. Also, a new addition on the temple’s west side is in the midst of being completed.
“There are some walls that feel like glass they’re so smooth. They have a special skill, and you can tell that they care about their work,” said Andy Kirby, director of historic temple renovations for the Church in a press release.
The Church also says walkways, planters and landscaping are close to being completed. Additionally, shrubbery and trees that can withstand drought conditions are ready for an early spring planting. The early planting is necessary to help ensure that the roots are well rooted to survive the summer heat.
The renovation of the St. George Temple also includes structural reinforcement of the stone foundation of the temple.
- Church announces temple operations can begin return to normal
- Groundbreaking dates for Latter-day Saint temples announced
Today’s Top Stories
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Tracking snowplows in SLC
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- Native tribes of Utah are given their chance to offer historical perspectives on museum artifacts
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Utah Naloxone and law enforcement reach milestone in preventing overdose deaths
- Pilot uninjured in Mountain Green plane crash
- Citing rising RSV cases, Primary Children’s delaying some surgeries