Nursing program at U of U to expand
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah is expanding its nursing program to address Utah’s statewide nursing shortage. Beginning this summer, the program will admit 60 students a semester. It plans to go from about 140 graduates each year to 180.
There are currently 2,500 vacancies for nurses across the state. Marla DeJong, dean of the College of Nursing, said she’s pleased the expansion will allow more students into its program.
“We receive far more well-qualified applicants to our program than we can accept, so we know the demand is there,” DeJong told KSL NewsRadio.
While other colleges and for-profit schools also train nurses in Utah, DeJong said the U of U program provides better preparation for nursing careers.
“We offer a baccalaureate education, which is important to preparing nurses for not only clinical care but leadership within nursing,” she said.
The Utah legislature will fund part of the expansion. But funds will also come from student tuition, university donors, and community partners. DeJong said those partners provide a critical part of nursing students’ education.
“Our students require many clinical hours to meet our requirements for graduation, so they spend a lot of time in hospitals and clinics and community health centers and other health care settings,” DeJong said.
Students who’ve already applied for the nursing program will be in the first additional group starting in May. Those who haven’t yet applied to the program can apply this fall for classes beginning next year.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Several people killed in Copenhagen mall shooting, police say
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers