Driver watching YouTube video injured after crashing into Sandy house
SALT LAKE CITY — Sandy police said the driver of a lawn care truck missed a turn in the 2500 block of Alta Canyon Drive on Tuesday and crashed into a house while watching a YouTube video. KSL.com reports the driver had minor injuries and was taken to the hospital. An unoccupied car inside the garage was damaged in the crash, but no one else was hurt.
Lucy Curtis told KSL-TV’s Debbie Worthen she was inside her home working on a quilt when she heard the crash.
“I run outside, and the truck . . . in my garage,” she said.
The driver worked for Corey Draper’s lawn care company, and he told KSL-TV the driver wasn’t watching the road.
“A fertilizer technician was driving down the street, and apparently, from what he told the officer, was watching YouTube videos.”
Sandy police haven’t released the driver’s name. He was cited for improper lookout, causing damage to property, and using a handheld phone while driving a commercial vehicle.
- Utah rolls out summer driving safety tips with “Summer Safely”
- Teen driver safety greatly influenced by parents says AAA survey
- First responders ask Utah drivers to slow down and move over
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s GOP Congressmen defeat primary challengers
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years in prison
- Utah Rep. Mia Love pushes for compromise bill on immigration
- Salt Lake City Police cancel Amber alert for 11-year-old girl