Driver watching YouTube video injured after crashing into Sandy house
SALT LAKE CITY — Sandy police said the driver of a lawn care truck missed a turn in the 2500 block of Alta Canyon Drive on Tuesday and crashed into a house while watching a YouTube video. KSL.com reports the driver had minor injuries and was taken to the hospital. An unoccupied car inside the garage was damaged in the crash, but no one else was hurt.
Lucy Curtis told KSL-TV’s Debbie Worthen she was inside her home working on a quilt when she heard the crash.
“I run outside, and the truck . . . in my garage,” she said.
The driver worked for Corey Draper’s lawn care company, and he told KSL-TV the driver wasn’t watching the road.
“A fertilizer technician was driving down the street, and apparently, from what he told the officer, was watching YouTube videos.”
Sandy police haven’t released the driver’s name. He was cited for improper lookout, causing damage to property, and using a handheld phone while driving a commercial vehicle.
- Utah rolls out summer driving safety tips with “Summer Safely”
- Teen driver safety greatly influenced by parents says AAA survey
- First responders ask Utah drivers to slow down and move over
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Death penalty off the table for Lori Vallow Daybell
- BYU announces new president
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation
- Semi hits car on I-15 in Kaysville, one person taken to hospital
- Bicyclist hit, killed by FrontRunner train in Salt Lake City
- Cox signs bill requiring lethality assessments in Utah domestic violence cases
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County
- Snow causing roofs to collapse across the state, expert offers helpful tips
- Salt Lake City Police to host gun buy-back event on Saturday