Family remembers Eli Mitchell, victim in fatal hit and run
WEST JORDAN, Utah — On Tuesday night, a 13-year-old boy, Eli Mitchell, was riding his bike through a crosswalk when he was hit. Later that night West Jordan Police located a suspect and took him into custody.
Eli was transported to Intermountain Medical Center, where he later died due to his injuries.
The driver is now facing several charges related to the crash that caused Eli Mitchell’s death.
Glendon Mitchell, Eli’s grandfather, stated that Eli was riding his bike home from getting treats at a grocery store when he was fatally hit.
“Eli was a kind, loving, jovial, and friendly young man who had many friends. At the time of his death, he was doing two of his favorite things: riding his bicycle and having treats. Eli also loved outdoor activities including snowboarding, riding ATVs, camping, video games, airsoft wars, and activities with his friends. He was an avid reader and adults around him often had to look up words he used,” said Glendon Mitchell.
His grandfather said that parents Jeremy and Lisa Mitchell, along with the rest of the family, want to express their gratitude to bystanders, West Jordan Police Department, and paramedics.
“We will be forever grateful to the many unknown individuals who tried to assist him and recognize this likely had an impact on them. We also express appreciation for the great outpouring of support and sympathy from the community,” said Glendon Mitchell.
The family asked for privacy during their time of mourning.
A GoFundMe* for the Mitchell family has been set up.
*KSL NewsRadio does not assure that the money deposited to the account directly benefits the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk and is placed at the end of the story.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Anonymous donor offers $50K to help find missing South Salt Lake man
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade, 7 dead
- Highland Park parade shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder, state’s attorney says
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Dog dies after being left in hot car for more than an hour