SCIENCE + TECHNOLOGY
Your driver’s license needs this if you want to fly in the next year
May 5, 2022, 8:04 AM
(Dan Bammes/KSL NewsRadio)
SALT LAKE CITY — Less than one year from today, you’ll need to make sure your driver’s license has a gold star on it if you want to get on an airplane.
All that means is you need a RealID if you’re older than 18 years old. That’ll be important for any prospective missionary, or new college student headed off to another state and wants to get home for Thanksgiving.
Federal law requires documents that prove identity when the license is issued, and most people have been getting them when they renew.
Without the RealID compliant license, you won’t be able to board a commercial flight as of May 3rd, 2023. The original deadline was back in 2020 but was extended because of the pandemic.
The RealID standard was put in place after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
There’s more information on the Driver License Division website.
- Utah starting new “mobile” driver’s license pilot program
- Driver’s license renewal is about to change in Utah
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Suspect killed, Ogden police officer stable after officer-involved shooting
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Weber, Box Elder, Davis, Tooele counties
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Boats returning to the Great Salt Lake Marina
- Text messages reveal Utah lawmakers pressured UTA to pull Pride-wrapped bus out of parade
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Boppy Newborn Lounger pillow blamed in more infant deaths