Man found dead from self-inflicted wound following SWAT situation
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department’s SWAT Team discovered a suspect dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound following a reported sexual assault.
The area surrounding a Salt Lake home was locked down by the SLCPD for a period on Monday afternoon as the SWAT team investigated.
There is a large police presence near Cavallo Drive and 1700 North as we investigate a potential person’s crime. Please avoid the area. SWAT and Crisis negotiators are responding to the scene. Media staging is on the SW corner of 1700 North Redwood Road. #slc #slcpd #saltlakecity pic.twitter.com/ZmlDZpMmV4
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) May 16, 2022
The SLCPD said it received information about a sexual assault involving a minor. Officers received information that the suspect had access to firearms.
As officers arrived at a home on 1700 North near Cavallo Drive, they learned that a single shot had been heard and that there was at least one person inside the home.
Officers requested the SWAT Team and crisis negotiators at that point.
The home that officers responded to is located near Northwest Middle School. SLCPD Resource Officers worked with the school to place it under lockdown.
SLCPD also said it advised nearby homeowners to shelter in place.
SWAT officers entered the suspect’s last known location; the garage of the home. The SLCPD said officers found the suspect dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The SLCPD said detectives with its Special Victims Unit are investigating the sexual assault.
The lockdown and shelter in place orders have been lifted.
The SLCPD said it would release no other information because the case involves a minor.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces the construction of 18 new temples
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Fatal car crash closes southbound I-15 in Washington County
- Satellite photo shows Chad Daybell property on likely day of child’s burial
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead
- Rubio vows to oppose potential Hurricane Ian aid package if lawmakers ‘load it up with…
- Death of Gunnison prison inmate could be homicide
- Boy killed while playing “the fainting game” will be laid to rest Wednesday