Granite School District employee allegedly used a racial slur
SALT LAKE CITY — A Granite School District employee at Bennion Junior High is on administrative leave after allegedly using a racial slur while talking with students Thursday.
This incident comes after, earlier this week, an assistant principal at a different school in Granite school district, Bonneville Junior High School, was placed on paid leave after a student alleged he made a racist comment.
Granite School District’s statement on the incident
On Thursday, the school district released a statement regarding the incident.
“Earlier today, Bennion Junior High administration received an allegation that an employee had used a racial slur in the midst of conversing with a group of students,” the school district said in a news release. “The Granite School District does not condone or tolerate the use of any type of derogatory terms or racial slurs in any form or context. For this reason, the employee has been placed on administrative leave while we conduct a rigorous investigation. The District will take additional appropriate action once the investigation is complete.”
The school district concluded its statement by saying it “is proud to serve a diverse community of children and families. [Its] ongoing commitment is to ensure all of our schools and classrooms are safe and inclusive.”
- Granite School District board meeting ends early due to anti-mask protest
- Gov. Cox serves as a substitute teacher in the Granite School District
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lake effect snow causes school delays in northern Utah
- Monday morning commute could be affected by additional inches of snow
- Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting
- Wrong way driver leads to fatal crash in Weber County
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- Body found by passersby on southbound I-15 at 600 North
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up