Granite School District employee allegedly used a racial slur
SALT LAKE CITY — A Granite School District employee at Bennion Junior High is on administrative leave after allegedly using a racial slur while talking with students Thursday.
This incident comes after, earlier this week, an assistant principal at a different school in Granite school district, Bonneville Junior High School, was placed on paid leave after a student alleged he made a racist comment.
Granite School District’s statement on the incident
On Thursday, the school district released a statement regarding the incident.
“Earlier today, Bennion Junior High administration received an allegation that an employee had used a racial slur in the midst of conversing with a group of students,” the school district said in a news release. “The Granite School District does not condone or tolerate the use of any type of derogatory terms or racial slurs in any form or context. For this reason, the employee has been placed on administrative leave while we conduct a rigorous investigation. The District will take additional appropriate action once the investigation is complete.”
The school district concluded its statement by saying it “is proud to serve a diverse community of children and families. [Its] ongoing commitment is to ensure all of our schools and classrooms are safe and inclusive.”
- Granite School District board meeting ends early due to anti-mask protest
- Gov. Cox serves as a substitute teacher in the Granite School District
Today’s Top Stories
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Schools, commute delayed because of early morning lake effect snow
- Tracking snowplows in SLC
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- Snow storm brings highly dangerous avalanche conditions
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Native tribes of Utah are given their chance to offer historical perspectives on museum artifacts
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Pence says Trump was ‘wrong’ for dinner with Holocaust denier