A busy night for Salt Lake County Search and Rescue with back to back rescues
SALT LAKE CITY — The first person that called for help from Salt Lake County Search and Rescue officials on Tuesday night was a hiker who’d attempted to hike Donut Falls in Big Cottonwood Canyon.
The second was a hiker who said she was lost in Yellow Fork Canyon in Herriman. The sun was setting, and she had no light except for that from her cell phone.
Donut Falls rescue
Salt Lake County Search and Rescue says that a hiker had tried to climb up Donut Falls and then became stuck when he realized he wouldn’t be able to climb back down on the slick rock. They got a call just before sundown, SAR reported, but as they made their way to the area they said bystanders had already talked the hiker down from the area where he was stuck.
Rescue officials ask hikers not to climb the falls at Donut Falls, calling it extremely dangerous and potentially life-threatening.
Yellow Fork Canyon Rescue
Not long after wrapping up the rescue in Big Cottonwood Canyon, SAR were called to help a lost hiker across the valley in Herriman’s Yellow Fork Canyon. The hiker called 911, and said that it had gotten dark before she could find her way back to the trailhead.
She said she became turned around by the many trails in the area, and called 911 when she realized she was lost. An ATV team found her, and all were off the mountain by 10 p.m.
Officials remind anybody hiking in Utah that, though the days are warming up it is still cold at night in the mountains. They ask you to be sure you’re carrying the 10 essentials including extra clothing.
Importantly, they ask you to assure your phone has a full battery before heading out on a hike.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gov. Cox appoints John Luthy to the Utah State Court of Appeals
- Evan McMullin sues super PAC, three Utah news stations for defamatory ad
- Father and son found dead inside West Jordan home
- Pedestrian killed on NB I-15 in Ogden, another in critical condition
- Judge dismisses lawsuit alleging OB-GYN sexually assaulted over 100 women
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Former Utah Royals owner and coach named in women’s soccer abuse investigation
- Biden to tour Ian damage in Florida with DeSantis feud on hold for now
- In narrow vote, Salt Lake County Council votes no on proposed gondola
- Three schools in Tooele went into lockdown Tuesday afternoon