Disturbance call leads to a quarter million dollar fentanyl bust
ESCALANTE, Utah — Two men are in custody and a juvenile is in a youth facility after police said a large amount of fentanyl was found in the trunk of a car.
The Garfield County Sheriff’s office said they responded to a call of a disturbance at 11:30 on Sunday on Highway 12 near mile marker 2. Upon arrival, they said they found a man trying to push a red Cadillac. Another man was in the driver’s seat. A female and a juvenile were also in the car, police said.
An initial search of the vehicle led police to a small amount of fentanyl. Further investigation yielded what police described as eight bags of Fentanyl in the trunk of the vehicle, with approximately 1,000 pills each.
Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is 50-100 times stronger than morphine according to the United States Drug Enforcement Agency.
The value of the bags equals nearly $250,000, police said.
Two male suspects, ages 23 and 24, were booked and arrested. The woman, age 21, was hospitalized due to health concerns, and the juvenile was taken to a youth facility in Richfield, Utah.
Charges are pending for all four people.
This story will be updated.
- Summit County authorities issue public safety alert after Fentanyl is found
- Pounds of fentanyl pills recovered after actions of alert UHP trooper
- Fentanyl overdoses killing more Americans than COVID-19
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date