CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Bountiful man arrested after allegedly kidnapping his child in defiance of court order
BOUNTIFUL, Utah — A Bountiful man was taken into custody Monday evening after he failed to comply with a court order requiring the removal of his three children from his custody.
Bountiful Police said that as 37-year-old Dustin Matthews returned to his residence with his three children, ages 8, 6, and 3, authorities were waiting to serve the court order. As police instructed Matthews to step away from his children, he picked up his 3-year-old and attempted to enter the residence.
After running around several vehicles and entering the residence, police said.
According to police, Matthews resides with his parents. After he entered the home, his father came to the door and would not allow police to enter.
Bountiful man flees with his 3-year-old
Several minutes later, the father informed police that Matthews had left the residence with the 3-year-old.
A short time later, police located Matthews several blocks away from his home with the 3-year-old. When police instructed Matthews to stop and step away from the child, he then fled toward a residence in the area. The officer gave several commands to stop, but Matthews failed to comply.
When Matthews dropped the child, the officer attempted to take physical control of Matthews. The suspect fought with the officer, which led him to be tased three times before being taken into custody.
Once in custody, Matthews was issued his Miranda rights. And he was informed of the court order to remove his children from his custody. He was also informed of his noncompliance with the order.
Police also said once in custody, a small round plastic jar containing a green leafy substance, consistent with marijuana was allegedly found on Matthews.
According to the probable cause statement, Matthews was booked into the Davis County Jail under suspicion of kidnapping. That is a first-degree felony. He was also booked on suspicion of child endangerment, which is a third-degree felony. The probable cause statement also says Matthews is facing several misdemeanor charges as well.
- Bountiful porch thefts and stolen car recovered after call from alert neighbor, police work
- Man arrested after stabbing 2 women in Bountiful, planned to harm others
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah
- Online marriage licensing gets the attention all over the world
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense