Owens, Stewart among several lawmakers who support Securing Our Students Act
WASHINGTON — Two of Utah’s congressmen are among several lawmakers who are co-sponsoring the Securing Our Students Act as announced Thursday.
Utah Rep. Chris Stewart and Utah Rep. Burgess Owens say this piece of legislation would redirect unused funding from the American Rescue Plan to help identify and implement evidence-based school safety measures.
Securing Our Students Act
According to a news release from Stewart, of the $122 billion appropriated to America’s school system (K-12) in last year’s $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan, 93% remains unspent.
“There may not be a cure-all solution to the heartbreaking issue of mass shootings in our country,” Stewart said in a news release. “But there are absolutely steps we can take to help prevent these tragedies. There are hundreds of billions of dollars still unspent from the American Rescue Plan, and the most vulnerable in our society need enhanced security. This legislation is a significant step toward better protecting America’s children, and it’s one Congress must take.”
Owens, who introduced the bill, says Congress should immediately act on it.
“I’m thrilled to announce 24 new co-sponsors of the Supporting Our Students Act,” Owens said in a news release. “From threat prevention to classroom protection, my bill green lights untouched funding from the American Rescue Plan to help America’s schools implement evidence-driven safety measures that protect our children and foster safe learning environments. Congress should act quickly to pass this commonsense school safety legislation to immediately help schools prevent future acts of senseless violence.”
The bill is also co-sponsored by Reps. Cliff Bentz (OR-02), Mike Bost (IL-12), Jerry Carl (AL-01), Dan Crenshaw (TX-02), Neal Dunn (FL-02), Pat Fallon (TX-04), Carlos Gimenez (FL-26), Glenn Grothman (WI-06), Brett Guthrie (KY-02), Bill Huizenga (MI-02), Chris Jacobs (NY-27), Robert Latta (OH-05), Jake LaTurner (KS-02), Julia Letlow (LA-05), Peter Meijer (MI-03), Markwayne Mullin (OK-02), Maria Salazar (FL-27), Pete Stauber (MN-08), Greg Steube (FL-17), GT Thompson (PA-15), and Tom Tiffany (WI-07).
- ‘Better Utah’ calls for Burgess Owens, Chris Stewart to resign after objecting to certify election
- Congressman Burgess Owens accepts Biden as president, apologizes to ‘liberals’
Today’s Top Stories
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Speed Week on Bonneville Salt Falts is called off due to flooding from rain
- More human remains discovered in Lake Mead’s receding waters
- Can the average Utahn afford to go solar?
- UPDATE: Flood advisory for portions of Salt Lake Valley and Davis County
- UPDATED: Shots fired at indoor swap meet in West Valley City
- Thousands of dead fish are washing up along a California river. It’s because of a…
- One dead, five hurt in head-on crash at Bonneville Salt Flats
- President Joe Biden officially cleared to emerge from isolation following rebound Covid-19 case
- Utah company, Lions Not Sheep ordered to cease “made in USA” claims