Dog dies after being left in hot car for more than an hour
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County Animal Services announced Tuesday afternoon a dog died after being left in a hot car.
SLCAS says an animal control officer pulled the dog out of an unlocked door and attempted to cool it off. Moments later, however, the dog stopped breathing and died around 3:30 p.m.
According to SLCAS, the dog is described as possibly a German Shephard mix type of dog. It had been left in the car for more than an hour.
SLCAS says the dog owner was located a short time later at a business in the area of 700 South 900 West and was cited for animal cruelty.
Dog in a hot car
According to SLCAS, animal control officers respond to roughly 500 calls a year of dogs being left in hot cars. In as little as 10 minutes, the temperature inside a car can elevate to 116 degrees when it’s only 70 degrees outside, the SLCAS says.
Unlike humans, dogs don’t have the ability to release heat from sweating, SLCAS says. This causes their internal temperature to rapidly rise. Eventually, this will lead to heat stroke or death.
SLCAS is urging owners to leave their dogs at home.
- DWR asking Utahns to keep dogs on a leash while in the outdoors
- Keeping pets safe during firework season
- Cat stolen from Salt Lake PetSmart found hours later at a store in Murray
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Man wanted for leaving a dead fish at ‘The Goonies’ house saved by Coast Guard…
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism