CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Evacuation notices for the Halfway Hill Fire lifted on Wednesday
Jul 13, 2022, 9:00 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:29 am
MILLARD COUNTY — Fire officials announced Wednesday evacuation notices for the Halfway Hill Fire near Fillmore have been lifted.
Residents in the Virigina Hills subdivision in Millard County have been allowed to return to their homes. Evacuation notices were issued shortly after the fire started on Friday, July 8.
According to fire officials, rain fell on the area for almost an hour Wednesday afternoon. However, there were also wind gusts of up to 35 miles per hour, which reduced visibility. As such, air operations on the fire were paused for a time.
According to Utah Fire Info, the Halfway Hill Fire has burned 11,637 acres and is only 10% contained.
Officials say residents should use caution upon the return to their homes as fire crews and equipment will still be in the area.
The wildfire is three miles southeast of Fillmore, and 457 fire crew personnel are battling the fire.
Jacob City Fire
As of Wednesday, the Jacob City Fire, one mile east of Stockton, was at 4,185 acres and was 28% contained.
On Tuesday, Stockton police announced an arrest in connection to the start of the Jacob City Fire. Five helicopter and 12 fire engines are helping to extinguish the fire.
Earlier Wednesday, Utah Fire Info announced the Apple Valley Fire, that ignited Tuesday is fully contained.
Firefighters worked through the night & secured the #AppleValleyFire perimeter, which is now 100% contained. #kmyffsl pic.twitter.com/TzbYlH1aPZ
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) July 13, 2022
Utah Fire also announced Monday the Sardine Fire has been contained.
#SardineFire is 100% contained. Local crews will continue to monitor the area for any new activity. #ffslkth
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) July 12, 2022
- Be Ready Utah: What to do when wildfires close in on your home
- Fire officials warn of human-caused wildfires as fire season approaches
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Adult filmmakers ask judge to delay Utah law requiring porn sites verify user ages
- Some rivers exit flood stage as spring runoff draws closer to an end
- Record Utah winter makes up for years-long water shortfall
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Herriman couple ‘lucky to be alive’ after socket smashes windshield