Several Utah counties are under a Stage 1 Fire Restriction Order
SALT LAKE CITY — The following counties are under a Fire Restriction Order (stage 1) by the Utah Department of Natural Resources: Davis, Juab, Millard, Morgan, Piute, Salt Lake, Sanpete, Sevier, Tooele, Utah, and Wayne.
With recent drought conditions and weather conditions, it’s important to know fire restrictions in your area. Violations of fire restrictions can result in fines of up to $1,000, and up to six months in jail.
“Despite the recent monsoon storms, rainfall has not been widespread, and the majority of Utah remains in extreme drought,” said Bureau of Land Management Utah State Fire Management Officer Chris Delaney in a news release. “While the moisture we received was much needed, it has not been enough to reduce our wildland fire risk. We still need every Utahn to use their Fire Sense and to be a responsible public land user when enjoying the outdoors.”
What’s not allowed under Fire Restriction Order
While the Stage 1 Fire Restriction Order is in place, the following are prohibited.
- Campfires or open fires outside of maintained campgrounds.
- Letting off fireworks or other such pyrotechnic devices outside of incorporated city limits.
- Target shooting of exploding devices or tracer ammunition.
- Welding, grinding or cutting of metal in areas where the vegetation is dry.
- The use of off-highway vehicle, chainsaw, or internal combustion engines is not allowed without a working spark arrestor that is also properly maintained.
- No smoking in the area of vegetation or outside the boundaries of a developed recreation site.
- Use of any Chinese lanterns, fire balloons, acetylene balloons, sky lanterns or any device that is similar in nature.
The Utah Department of Natural Resources reminds residents that fire restrictions may defer among agencies. Before traveling, you are asked to check specific fire restrictions with land management agency of the area.
Mark Jones contributed to this article.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Check your pantry, a Conagra canned meat recall may affect you
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Credit union will pay for larger dog adoptions this weekend
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Court says gun law targeting domestic violence suspects is unconstitutional
- As two federal pandemic emergency-assistance programs near an end, Cox has solutions
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips